Am I eligible to sponsor my family to the United States?

The opportunity to sponsor your family members to the United States is a very exiting one! If you want to sponsor your family members or a spouse to the United States, you will first want to make sure you qualify before you apply – otherwise you could be wasting your time. 

What are the requirements for family sponsorship in the United States?

If you want to become a sponsor and sponsor your family members or spouse for permanent residency in the United States (for a green card) you must ensure that you meet the following requirements:

You are a citizen of the United States or a green card holder in the United States.
You are over the age of 18.
You make enough money every year to support the spouse or family members you bring over to the United States at 125 percent over the poverty line.
You must be able to provide the United States government with documented proof of all of the above, as well as proof of your relationships to your family members or spouse.

Can I sponsor any family member?

No, the requirements for who you can sponsor to the United States are strict, and even more strict if you are a green card holder and not a citizen of the United States.

Permanent residents (green card holders) may sponsor their spouse or their unmarried child. Citizens of the United States may sponsor their spouse, child (married or unmarried) or siblings.

What is the first step to sponsoring a spouse or family member to the US?

The first step to sponsoring a spouse or family member to the United States is filing a form I-130. This form is titled a Petition for Alien Relative. The sponsor files this petition while also providing proof of the relationship to the person being sponsored.

Before even filing a form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, you should discuss your situation with a licensed immigration attorney. Sponsoring a spouse to the United States is not a simple process, and actually becomes quite complicated. While this might be your first time sponsoring someone to the United States, this will be one of hundreds or even thousands that the immigration attorney has helped prepare.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.