Apply for an H1B work visa for Austin

If you have a bachelor’s degree or higher and work in a “specialty” occupation – meaning that not just anyone can work in this type of job and you need a specific type of education or level of skill, you could be eligible to apply for an H1B work visa if you have a job offer from a United States employer. However, there a number of different things you will require for this application: read on to find out more. 

Work in Austin on an H1B work visa

You can apply for an H1B work visa at the United States border or port of entry, if you are a Canadian citizen. However, before you do apply you will want to ensure that everything is in place for your application to be accepted. With H1B work visas, there are quite a few different things your employer must file for in order for you to be able to proceed on your end.

For example, your employer will have to file a petition on your behalf for the H1B work visa with their INS Service Centre. But before they do this, they must file some additional documents. One of these documents is their prevailing wage determination, which is filed with the State Employment Security Agency. This ensures that you will be paid the appropriate wages for the occupation in question, as required for the H1B work visa.

The second important piece of documentation that must be filed by the employer is their attestation, to be filed with the United States Department of Labor. This provides the United States government with a lot of different pieces of information, including that employer’s history of hiring foreign workers, wages paid, information about the job and a promise that the work will be there for you as there are no labor disputes taking place.

H1B work visa lawyers serving Austin and the surrounding areas

The H1B visa is a capped visa. This means that the United States government will only give out a certain amount each year. For example, for the fiscal 2011-2012 year, there was a quota of 65,000. These visa applications are only accepted during certain times of the year, and the United States government will make an announcement as to when they are ready to start accepting them for the next fiscal year. A licensed immigration lawyer will be able to tell you when and where to file your application, as well as review your documentation to make sure you don’t risk being denied for a simple mistake. We can be contacted using the phone number above at the top of this page.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.