How to Enter Canada after being Denied Entry


Every year, countless people are denied entry to Canada. It happens every day, and it can even happen to you if you are a United States Citizen. Typically, having a criminal record or a health problem can result in your being denied entry to Canada. 

How can I still enter Canada

If you are denied entry to Canada, you could be eligible to apply for a temporary resident permit. This will allow you entry into Canada despite your criminal inadmissibility and potentially other issues (like health problems) that would make you inadmissible to Canada.

In order to apply for a temporary resident permit, you will have to provide information about your criminal conviction if applicable, including court records about the criminal case against you. You will also be required to demonstrate that you have strong ties to the United States that indicate you will not overstay your visit.

You can apply for a temporary resident permit at the US-Canada border or the Canadian consulate or Canadian embassy. If you apply and are approved at the border, it’s essentially instant. If you apply at the Canadian consulate, your application will take much longer to process.

However, there is a major drawback: your application for a temporary resident visa could still be denied, and if you’ve travelled all of the way to the US-Canada border to apply, it will be extremely costly and inconvenient to have to turn around and go back to the United States – especially if you have made plans, paid for a vacation or intended to visit close family!

It is important to consult with a licensed immigration lawyer if you are concerned about being refused entry or denied entry to Canada as a United States citizen or any other foreign national.

We have handled thousands of denial of entry cases to Canada with success! Contact us using the form on the right. We would love to help you!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.