Will My US Criminal Record Cause Me to be Refused Entry to Canada?

Will My US Criminal Record Cause Me to be Refused Entry to Canada?

If you have a US criminal record, there is a very good chance you will be refused entry to Canada if you try to enter Canada from the United States. Even the most seemingly small or old criminal convictions can come back to haunt you when it’s time to cross the US-Canada border.

If you’ve successfully crossed the US-Canada border before and haven’t had a problem – you might have just been lucky. Each border official is different, and the next one might decide to deny you entry into Canada.

But even with a criminal record in the US, there are ways you can enter Canada to visit on a temporary basis. The most ideal way for someone with a US criminal record to enter Canada is on a temporary resident permit, or TRP.

How to apply for a temporary resident permit

1. Gather your supporting documentation. An immigration attorney can help you determine which pieces of supporting documentation you will need to enter Canada and which of these documents are needed specifically in your case. These documents can often include information about your criminal case, information about your family and assets and information about your employment.

2. Obtain and fill out an application for a temporary resident permit. Do not leave anything out and re-check your application more than once to make sure you haven’t made a mistake. If you do make a mistake, it could result in your application being delayed or worse – denied.

3. Pay the necessary fees that go with a temporary resident permit application. Normally, it would be 75$ per person or $150 for a multiple-entry temporary resident permit.

4. Submit your application at the Canadian Consulate. You can also apply at the US-Canada border, but you can also be denied at the border and have to turn around and come back. Consulate processing is slow, but less of an inconvenience.

Do you have a US criminal record and want to visit Canada? Contact us using the form on your right as soon as possible so we can discuss your case.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.